There have been human settlements and activities in jing’an since the late paleolithic period. In 2007, Xu Changqing, the deputy director of the provincial institute of cultural relics, found one piece big-tip shape antique processed with siliceous rock gravel on the second terrace at the back of the Nursing home of Shuikou town which is located in the south bank of the South River which is about 20 meters above the riverbed. Identified by Cai Baoquan, an expert in paleolithic cultural relics and archaeology at the school of humanities, Xiamen university, the antique is a product of the late paleolithic age, thus, it was first confirmed that human activities existed in Jing’an more than 100,000 years ago.In 1983 and 1990, together with the Yichun and Jing’an cultural relics workers, the provincial cultural relics task force excavated twice at Zhengjia col of Laibao village in Shuikou town, which testified that there had been inhabited 5,000 years ago.
Jing’an belonged to Wu State during the Spring and Autumn period.In the third year of King Yuan of Zhou (473BC) during the Warring States Period, the Wu State was annihilated by Yue State. Therefore, Jing’an became a part of Yue State since then. In the 35th year of King Xian of Zhou (334BC), the Yue State was annihilated by Chu State. Therefore, Jing’an became a part of Chu State. In the 26th of the First emperor of Qin(221BC), the Qin state unified the whole China and divided it into 36 prefectures and Jing’an belonged to Jiujiang prefecture then.
In the fourth year of Emperor Gaozu of Han(203BC), Jiujiang prefecture was altered into Huaihai kingdom, covering 4 prefectures as Yuzhang prefecture and etc., and Jing’ an was a part of Yuzhang prefecture. In the third year of Emperor Jing of Han(154BC), Jing’ an belonged to Haihun county, which is governed by Yuzhang prefecture. In 9 AD, Wangmang usurped the power of the Han dynasty, changed Yuzhang prefecture to Jiujiang prefecture, and Haihun county to Yisheng county, which governed Jing’an. Yu zhang prefecture was restored in the Eastern Han dynasty and was governed by Feudal Provincial.At the same time, Yisheng county was changed back into Haihun county. In the 16th year of Yongyuan(104AD), Haihun county was changed into Jianchang county, and Jing’ an was a part of Jianchang county then.
During the Three Kingdoms Period, Jing’ an was still a part of Jianchang county, yuzhang prefecture, which belong to the Wu Kingdom.
The old systems were followed in the Western Jin Dynasty, the Eastern Jin Dynasty and Southern Dynasties.Only in the first year of Yongping(291AD), Jiang sate was set up to govern 10 prefectures, Yuzhang prefecture of one of them.In the second year of
Dabao in Liang state of the Southern Dynasty(551AD), five counties of Yuzhang prefecture such as Jianchang county, was changed into Yuning prefecture, and Jing’ an was a part of Jianchang county.In the 9th year of Emperor Kaihuang of Sui(589AD), the Sui annihilated Chen state, and abolished prefecture but set up Hong State Main Office.In the second year of Daye(606AD), Hong State was renamed Yuzhang prefecture, governing 4 counties such as Jianchang, and Jing’an belonged to Jianchang.
In the 5th year of Wude of Tang Dynasty (622AD), the emperor abolished prefecture but set up Hongzhou Main Office. In the 7th year, changed the Main Office into Military prefecture, and set up Nanchang State Main Office at Jianchang county, governing 4 states such as Nanchang, etc. And 4 counties, including Jianchang belonged to Nanchang State. In the 8th year, state was abolished while the Main office was retained.
In the 21st year of Kaiyuan of Tang dynasty,The emperor divided the whole country into 15 circuits, and Jiangnan circuit was divided into the east and west circuit, the latter governing 8 states such as Hong state and etc., and Jianchang was a part of Hong state.After Guangming of Tang(880-881AD), "the bandits invaded and plundered the Hong state, Jing’an and Xiaoti of Jianchang county were far away from Hong state, thus, Jing’an town was set up" (jing’an county annals, version in the 5th year of Daoguang). Jing’ an town was still a part of Jianchang county.
During the Five dynasties and ten kingdoms period, in the first year of Zhenyuan of Wu kingdom (927AD),Jing’an town was upgraded into Jing’an Chang, and then into Jing’an county in the first year of Shengyuan of Southern Tang kingdom(937Ad).however , it was still a part of Hong state.In the second year of Jiaotai(959AD), Hong state has been changed into Nanchang prefecture and then into Southern capital.Jing’ an county was still a part of it.
In the 8th year of Kaibao of Northern Song Dynasty(975AD), Nanchang prefecture was renamed Hong state. Int he 4th year of Tianxi(1020AD), Jiangnan circuit was divided into the east and west circuit, Hong state belonged to the west circuit.In the second year of Longxing of Southern Song dynasty(1164AD), Hong state was upgraded into Longxing prefecture, while Jing’ an was still a part of it.
In the 12th year of Zhiyuan of the Yuan dynasty(1275AD), the prefecture was changed into circuit. In the 14th year, Jiangxi province was set up, and circuit was set up after province, Jing’ an belonged to Longxing circuit.In the 21st year, Long(“隆”) was changed into Long(“龙”), thus Jing’ an belonged to Longxing(龙兴)circuit. In the 18th (1358AD), Chen Youliang’s troops settled in Longxing. Therefore, Jing’ an was also occupied. In the 22nd year, Zhu Yuanzhang occupied Longxing and abolished circuit, set up Hong state.In the august of the second year, Hong state was renamed Nanchang prefecture. Jing’ an was always a part of it.
In the 9th year of Hongwu of Ming Dynasty(1376AD), the emperor abolished the province, and set up the ministry of state administration(承宣布政使司). The whole ministry was divided into 5 circuits, and prefectures were set up under circuit, Jing’ an county belonged to Nanchang prefecture of Nanrui Circuit.
The early Qing dynasty followed the Ming system, and later reformed the ministry of state administration into province, and set up circuit, prefecture, county under the province, Jing’ an county was still under the Nanchang prefecture.
Just the year after the revolution of 1911, In the first year of the republic of China (1912), the government abolished prefectures and states, and Jing’ an county was directly under the governance of the province. In the third year of the republic of China, Jiangxi province was designated as 4 circuits and 81 counties, Jing’ an county was under Xunyang circuit. In the 15th year of the republic of China, the national revolutionary army conquered jiangxi province. Circuit was abolished, Jing’ an county was directly under the governance of the province again. In the 21st year, the province is divided into 13 administrative regions, jing’ an county belonged to the second administrative region. In the 24th year, the province was reduced to 8 administrative regions, and Jing’ an county was under the first administrative region. In March of the 28th year, Nanchang city fell into enemy’s hands, the northern counties of jiangxi were occupied by the Japanese army, and the whole province was expanded into 11 administrative regions, jing' an county was under the tenth administrative region (occupied areas). In August of the 31st year, the province was divided into nine administrative regions, and jing’ an county was under the ninth administrative region until the eve of liberation.
The people's liberation army liberated jing’ an county on June 3, 1949. A military control commission was established. On August 9, the people's government of Jing’ an county was established, initially under the leadership of Jiujiang sub-region, and after September, under the leadership of Nanchang sub-region. In September of 1950, Nanchang sub-region was renamed Nanchang division. On the New Year's day of 1959, Nanchang division was abolished, Yichun division was set up, and Jing’ an county belonged to Yichun division. By the end of 1966, Yichun division was renamed Yichun district. In August 2000, Yichun district was renamed Yichun city, Jing’ an county belonged to Yichun city since then.
According to county interpretation,,before the tang dynasty, Jing’an is a name of Li. In Tang dynasty, village was named with the name of Li, and the town was named with the name of village. During the five dynasties and ten kingdoms period, Chang was named with the name of town, and county with Chang. Thus, Jing’ an county came into existence since then.
Shuangxi is alias of Jing’ an , which is named after the North and South Stream of North Liao river flowing parallel across the county.